Monday, July 25, 2011

I confess, I'm a hexaholic

I think perhaps I should have started my first post with the following introduction:

Hi, my name is Joanne and I'm a hexaholic.

I think I'd go mad if I didn't get a daily dose of hand-stitching hexagons. They are so easy to do, and so therapeutic. I can just zone out and forget about the day at work.

On the other hand, patchwork has driven me crazy at times. It was love at first sight when I found my first patchwork book in my late teens, but who knew that a 99c bargain book would end up costing me so much!

My first major patchwork project ended in tears and tantrums, as I had an old sewing machine on it's last legs, too-cheap material, and a distinct lack of knowledge about how to actually do patchwork. (There was no such thing as the internet in those days.)

I remember making log-cabins and machine-pieced quilts in my 20s, well actually I remember the frustration of it all. It wasn't until my 30s that I discovered that hand-piecing is my true passion. Take it anywhere, do a little, do a lot, whatever you feel like. So easy, but always something new to try out. (That's code for always some new fabric to buy.)

Hence my hexaholic tendencies. There's just something about making stacks and stacks of hexagons, especially out of little scraps of unwanted fabric, then playing around with them until the design unfolds before your eyes.

What a great relief it was to find others like me! I no longer need to hide my hexie habit! You can visit my hexie-mates at the Inchy Hexagon Flower Swap, the Craft Forum, and the Vignette Hexagon Quilt blog.

5 comments:

  1. Love your post! Hexies are sooooo addicting. I always have some on hand for a quick project or to take on road trips. Congrats on getting your blog started :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have hand pieced 6" 9 patch blocks and then a few months ago I gave hexies a try - love using up the smallest bits of fabric and very portable! Now - off to check out your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey did your blog start today and you already have 7 followers?! Congratulations and good luck and have fun with it! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the bloggy world Joanne - i heard that you had started your blog through the inchy hexie swap and reliased that i buy all my papers through you!!! In fact i just ordered some more yesterday hehe. Small world!

    PS - My name is Bek and i am a Hexaholic hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that hexies are addicting, but it's so satisfying to take little bits of fabric and make something so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete